Friday, December 14, 2012

Reflections

Today I was up at our kids elementary school around lunch time doing some PTA work.

I watched 3 classes of the cutest little kindergartners walk by following their teachers on their way to lunch. The very last girl in the line was Kinsy, who goes to our church. She saw Rebecca and I and her face lit up and she gave us a HUGE smile and wave.

I remember thinking how small some of the kids were and how our little Rebecca is going to be one of those kids in a year and a half.

Rebecca and I needed a place to count out the Spanish forms I was printing for classes. Mrs. Wilson,  kindergarten teacher, let us use her room so Rebecca could play while I worked.

While we were in the classroom her kids came back in on their way out to recess. They were talking and had skips in their steps and you could feel their excitement about going out to recess. I couldn't help but smile back at the kids.

As we left the school Johann asked if I had heard about the shooting. I had no idea what he was talking about. He told me there was a shooting at an elementary school and he thought there were kids hurt.

When I go online this afternoon I read the devastating news. 27 dead, 20 of them children, and alot of them kindergartners.
My heart broke.

I so clearly remember seeing those sweet faces walking past me on their way to lunch and Kinsy turning to smile and wave at us. It was little kids just like those who walked happily past me today on their way to lunch that are now angels at the hands of another.

Such heartbreak. 

Such sadness. 

Such unfairness.

It's parents just like the parents of those kindergarteners today that won't get to hug their children tonight. They'll never again get to see them walk in the door after school. They'll never get to see them grow up. They won't be waking up Christmas morning to smiles on their child's faces. They instead will be burying their little bodies and trying hard to make it through the day without their child.

I'm heartbroken.

I couldn't wait for our kids to get home from school to hug them. I couldn't wait to see them and know that today I get to hug them, and cuddle with them and talk with them and get frustrated with them and then hug them some more.

Things many parents won't get to do with their little ones today.

I love these 4 kids that Heavenly Father entrusted to us.

I pray that the families of those new angels feel Heavenly Fathers loving arms around them. I pray that they can feel comfort and peace in this time of tragedy.  I pray that we can all reach out to each other and show love one to another not just during this Christmas season, but all year round. I pray that everyone remembers how incredibly important and special they are and that they are never alone, or forgotten or past love, or have done something so wrong that they need to hurt others. 

We are all Children of a Heavenly King. 

I know our kids are going to get extra hugs and cuddles this weekend. I know how special every day with our kids are and I pray that I will never take our 4 healthy, strong, wonderful kids for granted. 

2 comments:

  1. So much sadness here too, but oh so thankful that our kids are home with us. Praying for the families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, So sad. It's hard for me to even wrap my head around it. I have seen some beautiful paintings of Christ with children floating around facebook and it reminds me of His plan. My heart aches for those families. Life is so fragile. I've been holding my kids extra close.

    ReplyDelete