Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Letter L Preschool

Today was letter L day at preschool. We had such a fun time! I really love preparing the lessons, Rebecca loves learning the lessons and she loves playing with her friends. A complete win-win situation!

We started by reading a few books with L words in the tittle and story. We read a few extra while we waited for all the kids to show up.

Elmo Loves You and Big Dog, Little Dog being the favorites.

Then we played a game. I took a paper plate and wrote Ll on it.
I had a bucket with some toys in it. The kids would pull one out and we would say what it was, then make the beginning letter sound. If it started with the letter L, then it went on the plate, if it didn't then it went on the couch.

The kids enjoyed the game, but I think they got the biggest kick out of me making the "L" sound and the toys beginning sounds over and over each time.

We then worked on a worksheet. The kids colored the 4 items on the top and then some tried out writing the uppercase and lowercase Ll's on the bottom of the page.

The worksheet can be found here: http://www.kidzone.ws/prek_wrksht/learning-letters/l.htm

I have an app on my tablet where the kids get to trace the ABC's with their fingers and then the picture comes to life. All the kids got a chance to do that and wanted to do it again! I think that makes a great educational app if kids enjoy doing it and want to do it more while they are learning.

Our craft was making lamb and lion masks. I cut the inside part of the plate out for the kids faces to look through. I painted Modge-podge on the plates for the glue. We used cut up pieces of brown construction paper for the lion masks and stapled brown ears to them. For the lamb masks we used cotton balls and stapled white and pink ears to them.


The kids had a great time making these. One little guy who is always the 1st one done with crafts, was the last one done with his lion mask and he wanted every brown paper just right.

We ended preschool with a large chunk of playtime. I think playtime is also very important for kids. Rebecca and a little boy C played babies in her play house, while P & K brought them food and took care of them. It was very sweet. I love what their imaginations are coming up with during playtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment